The new becomes the normal

 As each day passes a pattern emerges and that new pattern becomes your day. These patterns, habits, make it possible to get through a day without having to think too much. We wake up at around 6:00AM and start reading on our phones. I know that's not a good habit. Sometimes I will grab my Kindle and get back into a book I am reading, but the day starts with the NY Times on my phone with a bit of Washington Post, The Guardian and a dab of Slate if I remember to take a look. 

At some point I will go into the kitchen to make us both a cup of tea and bring them into the bedroom. I have been drinking Moroccan mint and have found a source here in Belo Horizonte. It's still somewhat expensive. Once I have my tea, I don't feel like being in bed so I will only have  a few sips before I want to get up and really start the day. It's now around 7:30AM and we can hear the neighborhood start to stir. 

It's time for breakfast which has turned into fruit, Mineiro cheese, a bread or sometimes pão de queijo. We have breakfast together which is always a pleasure. We are happiest with some good food in front of us. 

I have started to draw nudes so if I am in the proper mood, I will sit down with my sketchbook and start to draw. I found a tasteful website that features dozens of male and female models that cumulatively present hundreds of different poses. For some reason, I have focused only on the female models. The sketches are supposed to be quick, but I end up spending an hour or more trying to create something that looks decent. different poses. So far I have managed to get through 9 of them. 

Carmen will join me during this time to tell me that she is going to meditate. Depending upon how I feel I will join her around half the time. Sometimes my drawing, when it is gong well, feels like  a meditation of sorts. The rest of the world can melt away and all there is in the world is my drawing. I am not going to say this produces great drawings but it does make it more enjoyable. This flow can come and go. The secret is of course to start and keep at it. 

After drawing and my sometimes meditating, we will decide it's time to go for a walk. This all sounds relaxing, but it's happening because there is a five hour time difference between here and Seattle--it's five hours ahead here. By the time we start work we have been up for at least six hours. 

We leave for Conselheiro Lafaiete in a few hours where we will definitely have to change this pattern. It's not sustainable.  When we get to Lafaite we are going to have to start work earlier and focus more on work. It's been a bit like a vacation these past two weeks so will have to establish a new pattern. Parts of this pattern will still be drawing plus a new thing: learning Portuguese. There is work to be done. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A pattern emerges

Three Weeks from Departure